Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Luigi and Funnel Cake

A big craft with the kids at school are always these itty bitty tiny plastic beads called "Perler Fuse beads". They range in all different sorts of colors. You place them on a grid or pre cut shapes. Then all you do is iron the beads together.

They have been around for some time, and I remember loving them when I was a kid. It is always amazing to still see kids interested in the same things as you were as a child. I always impress the kids with my knowledge of Poke'mon, they don't believe that adults can know anything about their interests. Another, which is from when I was even younger is Mario Bros.

Staying current with what is hip and cool with the youngsters today, is getting harder all the time. But Nintendo has kept themselves so current that all the age groups know, recognize and love the characters. Just messing around with the fuse beads one day I decided to make a Mario out of fuse beads and later make a Luigi. The kids fell in love with them so much, I had to make a color plan for them to follow.

Later in the day, we had our clubs for the kids. Flour children is cooking. Drama, Hard Hats is a recreation center with recyclables and art. The cooking club was making homemade funnel cakes. It smelled just like the fair, and funnel cake has always been my favorite carnival food. Of course every member of the club got a funnel cake to eat, and they made just enough for all the teachers to get some. It was so good, I never realized how easy it was to make.

I think it would be too dangerous if I decided to attempt it at home. I would have funnel cake every day if I had it my way. All they did was whip up some pancake batter. Put it in a bottle, to be able to pour it out, they also used a deep pan with hot oil to fry them in. And Voila, Fresh hot carnival food right in your very own kitchen. I think I've even seen kits before..

Yup decidedly too dangerous. I think I will stick to getting a treat now and then at work, if I bring it home that will be too much. More so than funnel cake, I love impressing the kids with my fuse bead skills, that is a treat enough.

1 comments:

Ruby said... [Reply to comment]

Sounds like fun! I remember those beads and think somewhere I still have some ornaments you girls made!

Post a Comment